When my Grandmama was in town a couple of weeks ago, I wanted to make some dessert for us all because we love sweets. My go to recipe is usually chocolate chip cookies but I wanted something different this time. So, I searched the internet for a recipe and came across this cinnamon roll recipe from the Minimalist Baker and decided to give it a try! They came out so yummy that I’ve made more batches since then as well.
These are also perfect for fall! I love baking and with the weather cooling down a little, it’s a great time for baking since it isn’t 800 degrees outside. Cinnamon rolls happen to be one of my favorite desserts! Read on for the recipe!
Vegan Cinnamon Rolls Recipe
- 1 packet packet instant or rapid rise yeast* 2 1/4 tsp
- 1 cup unsweetened plain milk alternative
- 1/2 cup vegan butter divided*
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 cups unbleached all purpose flour*
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup + 1 Tbsp organic cane sugar divided*
- In a large sauce pan, heat the milk alternative and 3 Tbsp vegan butter until warm and melted, never reaching boiling. Remove from heat and let cool to 110 degrees F. It should be warm but not too hot or it will kill the yeast.
- Transfer mixture to a large mixing bowl and sprinkle on yeast. Let activate for 10 minutes, then add 1 Tbsp sugar and the salt and stir.
- Next add in flour 1/2 cup at a time, stirring as you go. The dough will be sticky. When it is too thick to stir, transfer to a lightly floured surface and knead for a minute or so until it forms a loose ball. Rinse your mixing bowl out, coat it with canola or grapeseed oil, and add your dough ball back in. Cover with plastic wrap and set in a warm place to rise for about 1 hour, or until doubled in size.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough into a thin rectangle. Brush with 3 Tbsp melted vegan butter and top with 1/4 cup sugar and 1/2 - 1 Tbsp cinnamon (to taste).
- Starting at one end, tightly roll up the dough and situate seam side down. Then with a serrated knife or a string of floss, cut the dough into 1.5 - 2 inch sections and position in a well-buttered 8x8-inch square or comparable sized round pan (you should have about 10 rolls). Brush with remaining 2 Tbsp vegan butter (melted) and cover with plastic wrap. Set on top of the oven to let rise again while you preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Once the oven is hot, bake rolls for 25-30 minutes or until slightly golden brown. Half way through, I brushed it with more vegan butter but it's optional. Let cool for a few minutes and then serve immediately.
- Optional: Frost with dairy free cream cheese frosting or a simple mixture of 1 cup organic powdered sugar and 1-2 Tbsp milk alternative.
You can get the dairy free cream cheese frosting recipe here.
We all really enjoyed these and I can’t get enough of them. We usually eat them all in one sitting.